This Vegetarian Sushi Bowl recipe is packed with flavor and incredibly versatile.
Techniques for a perfect Vegetarian Sushi Bowl
- Chill the rice. It doesn’t need to be cold, but hot rice will wilt your lettuce and melt your mayo. Sticking it in the fridge for a few minutes takes care of this issue.
- Jammy eggs. Perfectly jammy eggs are delicious in a sushi bowl. Make sure to set the timer so you don’t overcook them. I use large eggs straight from the fridge, so if yours are different you’ll need to adjust.
- Togarashi seasoning adds the extra component that makes this taste like it’s straight from your favorite sushi bowl place.
Love bowls? Try our Sweet Potato Bowl.
- 2 cups baby lettuce (spring greens)
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked sushi rice, rinsed until water runs clear
- 4 eggs
- 1 carrot
- 1 ear corn, shucked
- 1 baby cucumber
- 1/4 of a head of red cabbage
- 1 green onion, sliced thinly
- 1 avocado, sliced thinly
- 1 cup soy sauce, plus more for serving
- 1 teaspoon sriracha, plus more for serving
- 1 teaspoon kewpie mayo, plus more for serving
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- Togarashi seasoning
- Kewpie mayo
- Sushi rice: In a lidded pot, bring rinsed rice and 2 cups water to a boil over high heat. Immediately when steam escapes from the lid, remove from heat for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, return to the burner and simmer on low heat until water is absorbed, about 10 minutes. Once cooked, remove from heat and gently stir in 1 tablespoon mirin. Remove the rice from the pot and place in a covered bowl in the refrigerator to cool.
- Soft boiled eggs: Add water high enough to cover eggs to a small pot and bring to a boil. Add four eggs to the pot and boil for 7 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to remove the eggs from the pot and put them in a medium bowl. Run tap water over them until they are cooled enough to handle. Peel the eggs and place in a plastic bag with 2 tablespoons soy sauce and one tablespoon mirin to marinate until ready to serve, turning frequently.
- Charred Corn: Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Brush corn with vegetable oil. Place corn in skillet turning frequently until lightly charred on all sides. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Soy Marinated Cucumber: Dice cucumber and place in a small bowl and cover with soy sauce. Let marinate, stirring frequently.
- Pickled carrot: Slice carrot into ribbons with a vegetable peeler. Place into a medium bowl with 1/4 cup rice vinegar and 1 cup water. Microwave for 45 seconds. Let marinate while you prepare the rest of the meal. Before serving, drain and pat dry.
- Pickled Cabbage: Slice cabbage thinly. Place into a medium bowl with 1/4 cup rice vinegar, 1 tablespoon salt, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, and 1 cup water. Microwave for 45 seconds. Let marinate while you prepare the rest of the meal. Before serving, drain and pat dry.
- Dressed Corn: Once the corn has cooled, cut corn from the cob and toss with 1 teaspoon kewpie mayo and 1 teaspoon sriracha.
- To Serve: Spoon rice into a bowl. Tuck some lettuce in next to the rice. Arrange eggs and vegetables on top of rice. Serve with soy sauce, kewpie mayo, sriracha sauce, and togarashi seasoning on the side.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 388Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 188mgSodium: 5555mgCarbohydrates: 42gFiber: 7gSugar: 11gProtein: 16g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.