Brown Butter Sage Gnocchi with Toasted Pecans is perfect for a weeknight dinner that still feels special. Pair it with the included asparagus recipe!
The classic combination of brown butter and sage are one of my top 10 comfort foods, especially when paired with pillowy gnocchi. I love lemon and sage together, but rather than combining them in the same component, a side of asparagus with a charred lemon sauce brightens the deeply savory gnocchi.
Techniques for delicious Brown Butter Sage Gnocchi with Toasted Pecans
- Fry the sage in the butter. It gets deliciously crisp and the butter becomes infused with the sage flavor.
- Get the gnocchi a little crispy. Frying the gnocchi in the butter gives it a wonderful texture. Just be careful to let it crisp before stirring so you don’t tear it apart.
Want more brown butter and sage? Try our Creamy Mushroom Pasta with Crispy Sage.
- 1 bunch asparagus, remove woody ends
- 1 lemon, zest and slice in half
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 bouquet sage, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons pecans, chopped
- 1/2 ounce Parmigiano Reggiano
- 1 package gnocchi
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) salted butter
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Gnocchi: Cook gnocchi according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Charred Lemon Sauce: Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Place lemon cut side down and cook until charred. Remove from heat. Combine 2 tablespoons sour cream, 2 tablespoons mayonnaise, 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt, and juice from 1 half of charred lemon. Stir until smooth.
- Brown Butter Sage Gnocchi: In the skillet you used to char the lemon, heat 2 tablespoons butter over medium-low to medium heat – be careful here, you want to avoid burning the butter. Add sliced sage and pecans to pan and fry until crispy, stirring frequently. Use a slotted spoon to remove the sage and pecans. Add 2 tablespoons butter and gnocchi to pan saute until browned. Use a spoon to remove gnocchi and as much butter as you can from the pan.
- Seared Asparagus: In the same skillet, add 1 teaspoon olive oil, and 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt. Add asparagus and sear over medium-high heat until lightly charred (about 2 minutes).
- To serve: Arrange gnocchi on one side of the plate and top with sage, pecans, and Parmigiano Reggiano. Arrange asparagus next to gnocchi and drizzle with charred lemon sauce and sprinkle lemon zest on top.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 533Total Fat: 43gSaturated Fat: 19gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 21gCholesterol: 99mgSodium: 1470mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 3gSugar: 1gProtein: 8g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.