Brunch Casserole with Gruyere Cheese and Caramelized Onions is amazing as a main dish or a side.
Techniques for a Perfect Brunch Casserole
- Challah or brioche is light enough to soak up the egg.
- Caramelizing the onions brings out their sweetness which balances all the savory components.
- Sweet and salty Gruyere cheese adds a delicious and complex flavor.
If you’re looking for a sweet dish to pair with this savory casserole, try our Custard French Toast with Strawberry Lemon Glaze.
- 1 loaf challah or brioche bread, sliced into 1 inch cubes
- 1 sweet onion, remove ends and slice thinly
- 1 shallot, remove ends and slice thinly
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 6 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 7 ounces gruyere, grated and divided into 5 ounces and 2 ounce
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- Adjust rack to the middle position, then preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Caramelize the onions & shallot: Heat a non-stick saute pan over low heat. Add sliced onion, shallots, 2 tablespoons butter, 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt. Saute on low heat stirring frequently until onions caramelize, about 30 minutes. Once onions and shallots are caramelized, spoon them from the pan into a mixing bowl.
- Toast the bread: Place the cubes of bread on a baking sheet and toast in the oven until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Saute the mushrooms: Turn the heat on the onion pan up to medium and add 2 tablespoons butter, sliced mushrooms, 1/2 teaspoon salt. Saute over medium heat until mushrooms are browned on both sides. Spoon the mushrooms from the pan into the large mixing bowl with the onions and shallots.
- Egg mix: Wait to do this until the mushrooms are done cooking and out of the pan. They need a few minutes to cool so you don’t cook the eggs. In a medium mixing bowl, mix together 6 eggs, 2 egg yolks, 1/2 cup whole milk, 1/2 cup heavy cream, 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper, and 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- Put it all together: In the large bowl with mushrooms and onions, add toasted bread cubes and stir together until mushrooms and onions are evenly distributed. Add in ounces grated gruyere and stir together. Pour the egg mixture over the bread and stir gently until the egg is distributed. Take care to not mash up the bread.
- Bake: In one 9 inch round cake pan, spoon bread mixture into the pan and top with the remaining 1 ounce of Gruyere cheese. Bake at 350°F until the egg is set and the cheese is browned, about 25 to 30 minutes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 559Total Fat: 41gSaturated Fat: 23gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 485mgSodium: 971mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 3gSugar: 11gProtein: 22g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.