Queso Flameado with Mushroom Jalapeno “Chorizo” gives you a bubbly skillet of melted cheese and spicy vegetarian chorizo perfect for scooping straight into your mouth with a fresh tortilla.
Queso flameado is often a lesser-known cheesy appetizer. While almost everyone who has been to a Tex-Mex restaurant knows what Chile Con Queso is, Queso Flameado (or sometimes Queso Fundido) is often met with “what’s that?” Well, I’ll tell you.
Queso flameado is an amazing gooey cheese. It’s often served with chorizo, and it’s hot, stretchy, and delicious.
Techniques for amazing Queso Flameado
- Earthy mushrooms combine with spicy jalapenos and a blend of spices to create a wonderful vegetarian “chorizo”.
- Track down Oaxaca cheese. Oaxaca cheese has a perfect stretchy quality for this dish.
Looking for more cheesy goodness? Try our fried Oaxaca cheese tacos.
- 8 ounces mushrooms, wash and mince
- 1 jalapeno (more or less to taste), wash and mince
- 6 ounces Oaxaca cheese, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 1/2 tablespoons clarified butter or ghee
- 1/2 teaspoon annatto
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ancho chili
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 6 tortillas
- Preheat oven broiler.
- Tortillas: Heat a large skillet over medium. Melt 1/2 tablespoon ghee in a small ramekin. Brush tortillas on both sides with melted ghee. Fry the oiled tortilla in the skillet until the tortilla is lightly browned.
- Seasoning: Melt 1/2 tablespoon of ghee in a second small ramekin, and mix in the annatto, paprika, and ancho chili powders
- Mushroom Jalapeno “Chorizo”: Heat a large skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Add 1/2 tablespoon ghee plus whatever you have left from the tortillas, 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt, minced mushrooms, and minced jalapenos. Saute until mushrooms are mostly browned. Add the mixture of ghee and spices. Then saute and stir well until spices are distributed evenly.
- Melt the cheese: Create a circle of chorizo about the size of a salad plate, leaving room in the middle of the pan. Add the cubes of Oaxaca cheese to the middle of the pan. Place under broiler until the cheese is melted (about 3 to 5 minutes)
STEP 6To Serve: Serve the queso flameado with warm tortillas.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 653Total Fat: 38gSaturated Fat: 18gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 113mgSodium: 949mgCarbohydrates: 46gFiber: 4gSugar: 2gProtein: 33g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.