Creamy mushroom pasta combines delicious caramelized mushrooms with protein-packed cottage cheese and decadent balsamic vinegar, creating modern comfort food.
If you eat a vegetarian diet, or even a mostly vegetarian diet, you’ve almost certainly been asked: “but where do you get your protein?” And even though the modern diet contains far more protein than we need, vegetarians do need to be a bit more mindful of protein intake.
There are many fantastic sources of vegetarian protein, but the one I think is most underrated is cottage cheese. 2% cottage cheese has 10 grams of protein for 90 calories. For comparison, whole chicken has 10.35 grams of protein for the same 90 calories. So for vegetarians, cottage cheese is a super-easy way to answer the question “but where do you get your protein?”
In this dish, we are leveraging the neutral flavor of the cottage cheese not just for protein, but also to add some creaminess to the pasta. Mixed with the super savory mushrooms and sauce, it’s a perfect balance. Let me know what you think in the comments!
Techniques for delicious Creamy Mushroom Pasta with Crispy Sage
- Crispy sage and brown butter add intense savoriness making this dish an instant comfort food.
- Once the butter is browned, we’re going to separate the browned solids from the clear butter to bring out the taste of the butter solids.
- Sauce the pasta in a separate bowl (rather than in the hot pan). This keeps the pasta from soaking up all of the sauce.
Southern & Modern Pasta Recipes
- 1 recipe Balsamic Pasta Sauce
- 8 ounces mushrooms, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/4 cup sage leaves, chopped
- 8 ounces of cottage cheese
- 8 ounces thin spaghetti
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves
- Brown Butter: In a medium stainless steel skillet, heat the butter and chopped sage over medium heat until the butter solids brown. Be careful to avoid burning the butter and sage. Once browned, immediately remove the browned butter and sage from the heat, and carefully pour the browned butter and sage into a heat-safe bowl to stop the browning. After you pour the butter into a heat-safe container give it a few minutes to settle. Once the butter has settled, pour the clear part of the butter off of the top of the brown solids and sage (separate the clear butter from the brown solids and sage).
- Browned mushrooms: In the same skillet as the brown butter, add 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil and mushrooms. Season with salt. Saute over medium heat until the mushrooms are browned all over (about 10 minutes).
- Pasta: While the mushrooms are browning, cook 8 ounces of thin spaghetti to al dente according to package instructions. Once al dente, immediately drain and set aside. Do not return to heat.
- Sauce: Prepare the balsamic pasta sauce according to its recipe.
- Sauce the pasta: In a separate bowl (not in the hot pan) toss together the mushrooms, pasta, and sauce. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To serve: Place a dollop of cottage cheese onto the plate. Arrange pasta on the plate on top of the cottage cheese. Drizzle the reserved brown butter solids and sage over the pasta. Sprinkle with thyme.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 737Total Fat: 51gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 30gCholesterol: 65mgSodium: 850mgCarbohydrates: 50gFiber: 5gSugar: 9gProtein: 22g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.