This recipe for How to Make Sushi Rice is super easy and simple. The rice turns out perfectly every time.
Sticky rice is one of my favorite sides. It goes so well with many of the super spicy and flavorful main dishes that I love. This recipe is for really simple sticky rice, but you can season it to your preference. I love it with our Vegetarian Nam Jim.
Techniques for perfect Sushi Rice
- Rinse the rice. Rinsing the rice is a critical step to removing the excess starch that can turn your rice into an over-sticky mess.
- Season your rice. White rice does not mean flavorless. I like to use seasoned rice vinegar to season my rice.
- 3/4 cup white sushi rice
- 1 cup of water
- 1 tablespoon seasoned rice vinegar
- Rinse the rice: In a large sieve, rinse the rice until the water runs clear. This takes about 3 minutes.
- Bring to a bowl: In a lidded saucepan, add the rinsed rice and 1 cup of water to the saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. When the rice first starts to steam, turn off the heat and remove the pan from the burner for 3 minutes.
- Return to heat: Place the pan back on the burner and turn the heat to low. Simmer over low for 8 to 10 minutes until the water is absorbed.
- To serve: Stir in one tablespoon of seasoned rice vinegar. Immediately remove the rice from the pan so that the rice doesn’t overcook or dry out.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 90Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 113mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 0gSugar: 2gProtein: 1g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.