Homemade Pico De Gallo is the perfect accompaniment for tacos, burritos, enchiladas – you name it! Keep it simple, or add some extra pizazz!
Pico De Gallo translates as “Beak of Rooster”, but don’t worry, this dish is completely vegetarian and vegan! It tastes amazing as a topping for other dishes or eaten with chips like you would a salsa. It’s also delicious on top of queso like you would find in queso compuesto. You can keep it simple with this recipe, or jazz it up with some suggestions below.
Techniques for delicious Homemade Pico De Gallo
- Simple Pico De Gallo is made with tomato, onion, serrano, cilantro, and lime. If you are going for the classic, you can stop there.
- But sometimes you don’t want to be classic. Add some extra flavor with mango, pomegranate, peach, or kiwi.
- Or make it extra spicy with habanero. Don’t like spice? That’s okay too! Try a more mild jalapeno or bell pepper, or omit the pepper altogether.
- Mix up the seasonings! Common additions are cumin, ancho chile, and paprika. But try your favorite seasonings also.
Looking for some more tasty taco toppings? Try our Taco Truck Green Sauce Recipe.
- 1 Roma tomato
- 1 serrano pepper
- 1/4 red or white onion
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
Mix it up: Dice up the tomato, serrano pepper, onion, and the cilantro. Stir together the diced vegetables with the lime juice and season the mixture to taste with salt and pepper.
To serve: Serve with your favorite tacos!
You can also use an equivalent amount of cherry tomatoes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 9Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 147mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 0g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.