Homestyle Guacamole – Packed with Flavor!
Homestyle Guacamole amps up the flavor with runchy veggies and tangy jalapenos to add texture and substance to this classic.
Most people know that us Texans are fussy about our chili. But what you may not know is that we also get persnickety about plenty of other foods, including guacamole. I’ve heard all sorts of things; it must NEVER have tomatoes. It must ALWAYS have cilantro. Strong proponents on garlic from both sides.
Just like chili, you aren’t going to get a consensus. Therefore, I don’t worry too much about tradition and focus more on what I like and what I don’t. And I like texture and crunch.
In this version of guacamole, tomatoes add umami, bell pepper adds crunch, onion adds bite, and lime and pickling liquid add acid. And this is Texas y’all, so jalapenos bring some heat. I’m one of the unfortunate souls who think cilantro tastes like soap, so I use parsley instead, but if you like cilantro, feel free to throw it in.
Techniques for perfect Homestyle Guacamole
- Be gentle. This guac is packed with flavor and texture, so just stir to combine. This keeps the avocado a bit firm and extra tasty.
- Dice uniformly. Dice your veggies into similarly sized pieces. This helps to balance the flavor, and makes it easier to scoop onto your chip.
Looking for more delicious Tex-Mex appetizers? Try our Queso Flameado with Mushroom Jalapeno “Chorizo”.
This veggie packed guacamole has great texture and flavor. It works great as an app or side, but I often make it for lunch when I don't feel like cooking.
- 3 ripe avocados, diced
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced into quarters
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 red onion, diced
- 1 medium lime, quartered
- 2 tablespoons sliced pickled jalapeno, diced
- 1 tablespoon pickling liquid from jalapeno jar
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- Parsley or cilantro for garnish
- In a large bowl, gently stir together the avocado, tomatoes, bell pepper, red onion, pickling liquid, the juice from 1 lime wedge, and 1 teaspoon coarse salt.
- Garnish with parsley or cilantro, and serve with lime wedges.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 261Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 605mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 11gSugar: 2gProtein: 4g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.