This article will teach you how to cook shishito peppers. Blistered shishito peppers are a quick and easy appetizer. And the best part is, burning them is intended! They go great with so many sauces, I’ve included a recipe for Kewpie mayo 3 ways, but I also love them with our peanut sauce.
How to cook Shishito Peppers
- Use a lidded pan. This will trap the steam which will get the peppers cooked through while still blistering quickly.
- Use a high smoke point oil like avocado or ghee. You will want to crank the heat up, which will cause most oils to smoke, so make sure to use something that can take the heat.
- Use flaked or coarse salt. Don’t use table salt on these. Flaked or coarse salt will keep these from being over salty and will add additional texture. I used a smoked salt which adds another layer of flavor.
- 8 ounces shishito peppers
- 1 tablespoon high smoke point oil like avocado or ghee
- 1 teaspoon smoked salt flakes
- 6 tablespoons kewpie mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon sriracha sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon horseradish creme
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
Wash and thoroughly dry the shishito peppers.
Spicy mayo: Stir together 2 tablespoons of Kewpie mayonnaise and 1 tablespoon sriracha sauce.
Horseradish sauce: Thoroughly mix together 2 tablespoons of Kewpie mayonnaise and 1/2 tablespoon horseradish cream.
Lemon Aioli: Mix together 2 tablespoons of Kewpie mayonnaise and 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice.
Heat a large skillet with a lid over medium-high heat.
Add 1 tablespoon high smoke point oil.
Add the shishito peppers and stir them into the oil.
Cover the skillet with the lid and cook the peppers until the shishitos are lightly charred on all sides, stirring briefly every 1 minute. About 7 minutes in total.
Remove the shishito peppers from the heat and sprinkle them with smoked salt. Serve with the sauce trio.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 301Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 23gCholesterol: 17mgSodium: 777mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 4gSugar: 3gProtein: 2g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.