Vegetable Shish Kebabs are a delicious and flexible option for those seeking flavorful plant-based dishes. This Mediterranean-inspired vegetable kebab recipe features zucchini, yellow squash, bell pepper, red onion, and tofu cubes, roasted to perfection. With simple seasoning and the option to cook in the oven, these veggie kabobs are a delightful addition to any meal. Try this vegetable skewer recipe to savor the colorful medley of flavors and enjoy a healthy and satisfying dish.
Ingredients for Vegetable Shish Kebabs
- Zucchini: Fresh and vibrant green vegetable, adds texture and flavor to the kebabs.
- Yellow squash: Adds a mild and slightly sweet taste to the kebabs.
- Bell peppers: Colorful and crunchy, they provide a burst of sweetness and a hint of tanginess.
- Red onion: Adds a distinct flavor and complements the other vegetables perfectly.
- Extra-firm tofu (optional): Provides a protein-rich alternative to meat, adding a satisfying texture to the kebabs.
- Extra-virgin olive oil: Adds a rich and smooth taste while helping to evenly cook the vegetables.
- Smoked paprika: Adds a smoky and slightly spicy flavor to enhance the overall taste.
- Onion powder: Enhances the savory profile of the kebabs.
- Garlic powder: Adds a delicious aroma and depth of flavor.
- Dried oregano: Infuses a touch of earthiness and a Mediterranean essence to the dish.
- Coarse salt: Enhances the flavors and helps to season the vegetables evenly.
- Freshly ground pepper: Adds a subtle kick and complements the other seasonings.
- Lemon: Provides a refreshing citrusy note to brighten up the kebabs.
How to make Vegetable Shish Kebabs
- Preheat your oven to 375°F.
- If desired, thread the sliced zucchini, yellow squash, bell pepper, red onion, and optional tofu cubes onto skewers.
- In a small bowl, combine smoked paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, dried oregano, coarse salt, and freshly ground pepper.
- Brush the vegetables and tofu (if using) with extra-virgin olive oil.
- Sprinkle the mixed seasonings evenly over the vegetables and tofu.
- If baking, place the prepared vegetable shish kebabs on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- If grilling, preheat your grill to medium heat. Place the vegetable shish kebabs on the grill and cook, turning occasionally, until the vegetables are tender and slightly charred, typically about 10-15 minutes.
Whether you choose to bake or grill, these Vegetable Shish Kebabs offer a delightful combination of flavors and textures. Enjoy the Mediterranean-inspired goodness of these veggie kabobs, perfect for a vegetarian feast or as a flavorful side dish.
What to serve with Vegetable Shish Kebabs?
Vegetable Shish Kebabs are easy to customize and go well with just about anything, but here are a few of my favorite pairings:
- Easy Tzatziki Recipe – Under 5 minutes!
- Pearl Couscous with Lemon, Garlic & Oregano
- Cucumber, Tomato, and Onion Salad Recipe
- 1 zucchini, sliced into half circles
- 1 yellow squash, sliced into half circles
- 2 bell peppers, sliced into bite-size pieces
- 1 red onion, sliced into bite-size pieces
- 1 block extra-firm tofu, cubed
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt (like sea or kosher)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 lemon, sliced into wedges
- 10 bamboo skewers (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a small bowl, mix together the smoked paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, dried oregano, coarse salt, and freshly ground pepper.
- Add the vegetables and tofu to a large mixing bowl.
- Drizzle the vegetables and tofu with 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Sprinkle the dry seasonings mixture over the vegetables. and mix well.
- If using bamboo skewers, thread the vegetables and tofu evenly onto the skewers.
- Place the vegetables on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Roast the vegetables in the preheated oven until they are browned, approximately 20 to 30 minutes.
- Serve the roasted vegetables with lemon wedges.
If not using skewers, toss veggies with olive oil and seasonings and roast directly on a baking sheet
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 236Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 13mgSodium: 185mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 5gSugar: 11gProtein: 6g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.