This Crispy Sesame Tofu Recipe is quick, easy, and delicious! The pan-fried tofu only has 1 ingredient in the breading. Spice to your tastes!
Sesame tofu is one of my favorite take-out dishes, but after making it myself I’ve started to get really picky about the way the tofu is cooked. I like it perfectly crispy on the outside, while still tender and nicely chewy. Since restaurants are all over the place in how they prepare it, I now prefer to make my own.
Techniques for this perfect Crispy Sesame Tofu Recipe
- Tien Tsin peppers are the red peppers you will commonly find in Chinese-American food. They can be hard to find in the grocery store though, so feel free to use Thai chiles which are usually easier to track down. Don’t worry if you don’t like spice, you can easily omit these.
- Whisk your sauce ingredients together with the corn starch before heating. This guarantees no lumps.
- Use tongs to turn your tofu. Turning it frequently means even browning.
- Use the biggest pan you have. Give your tofu plenty of space to keep it from sticking together, and to help it crisp faster.
More Delicious Tofu Recipes
- 1 recipe Sushi Rice
- 1 (14-ounce) package extra-firm tofu, sliced into 2 layers
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup dark soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 4 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tien Tsin pepper or Thai Chile, chopped (optional)
- 10 Tien Tsin peppers or Thai Chilies, whole
- 2 tablespoons, plus 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 green onion, sliced
- Sushi Rice: Prepare sushi rice according to the linked recipe. Set aside until ready.
- Press the tofu: Place the tofu slices on a plate, and place a paper towel between each slice. Balance a plate on top (I find it easier to flip the plate upside down) to press the water out of the tofu. Let the tofu press while you move onto the next steps.
- Prepare the sauce: In a room temperature stainless steel saucepan, whisk together 2 teaspoons cornstarch, 2 tablespoons sugar, 2 tablespoons water, 1/4 cup dark soy sauce, 2 tablespoons rice vinegar, 4 teaspoons toasted sesame oil, 1 clove minced garlic, and the chopped (optional) and whole chiles. Bring to a simmer over medium-low heat for 2 to 3 minutes, whisking frequently, until the sauce coats a spoon. Remove the sesame sauce from the heat while you prepare the tofu.
- Starch the tofu: Slice the pressed tofu into bite-size cubes and spread the cubes out onto a cutting board. Blot any water with a paper towel so that the tofu and cutting board is mostly dry. Sprinkle the tofu with 2 tablespoons of cornstarch and gently toss the tofu together with the cornstarch to lightly coat it.
- Pan-fry: Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil and then carefully add the tofu. Saute using tongs to rotate the tofu cubes frequently until the tofu is golden brown on all sides. Reduce the heat to medium-low and then use a spoon to carefully remove the tofu from the pan into a large heat-safe mixing bowl.
- Make it saucy: Whisk the sesame sauce. Carefully pour the hot sesame sauce into the mixing bowl with the tofu. Stir gently to combine the tofu and sauce.
- To serve: Serve the Crispy Sesame Tofu over Sushi Rice and sprinkle with sesame seeds and sliced green onion.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 842Total Fat: 49gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 39gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 1786mgCarbohydrates: 64gFiber: 12gSugar: 32gProtein: 55g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.