Beet Salad with Citrus, Arugula & Pecans is bright and savory. Tangy citrus pairs well with peppery arugula and warm savory roasted beets. A bit of goat cheese adds creaminess and some heft, and if you have them on hand, some nuts like pecans or walnuts add a great texture.
Salads are a favorite meal of mine, especially when they are hearty. This salad is super filling with the beets, cheese, and nuts. It’s a great side, but we almost always have it as a main because it’s so filling. If you don’t feel like making the dressing, any vinaigrette will work well, but the extra bit of effort to make the included dressing is worth it. Plus, it only has 4 ingredients!
Techniques for a delicious Beet Salad with Citrus, Arugula & Pecans
- Caramelize the beets. Roasting the beets until browned gives them a deep savory flavor.
- Bring in the citrus. Citrus works great in this dish. I used regular oranges because they are readily available, but grapefruits and blood oranges work wonderfully as well.
- Creamy goat cheese does a beautiful job of balancing out the tanginess of the dressing and the citrus.
- Shallots are sort of like a garlic onion hybrid. They are super delicious and worth buying if you can find them. But, shallots can be a little hard to find, so if you can’t find them, just sub in a clove of garlic.
- Thai Salad with Peanut Dressing
- Caprese Pasta Salad with Balsamic Drizzle
- Peach Panzanella Salad
- Mediterranean Pasta Salad with Shallot Dressing
- 1 recipe dressing for roasted vegetables
- 1 bunch of red beets (about 3 beets), remove ends. Peel beets and slice into 1/2 inch thick medallions
- 1 bunch of golden beets (about 3 beets), remove ends. Peel beets and slice into 1/2 inch thick medallions
- 1/2 shallot, peel and dice
- 2 oranges, remove peel and slice into segments.
- 4 ounces baby arugula
- 4 ounces goat cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly cracked pepper
- Roast Beets: On 1 parchment-lined baking sheet, toss the red beets with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, salt, and pepper. On a 2nd parchment-lined baking sheet, toss the golden beets with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, salt, and pepper. Roast at 450°F until the beets start to brown on the bottom, about 15 minutes, then flip beets and rotate pans. Roast at 450°F until they are browned and tender, about another 15 minutes.
- Dressing: Add diced shallot to dressing for roasted vegetables and shake it up.
- To serve: Place a handful of baby arugula on a plate. Arrange beets across the plate. Spoon dressing and shallots across beets. Top the salad with the orange segments, goat cheese, and the chopped pecans. Sprinkle with the kosher salt and freshly cracked pepper.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 253Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 13mgSodium: 380mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 4gSugar: 12gProtein: 9g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.