Beet Salad with Arugula and Balsamic Vinaigrette is bright and savory. Tangy citrus pairs well with peppery arugula and warm savory roasted beets. A bit of goat cheese adds creaminess and some heft, and if you have them on hand, some nuts like pecans or walnuts add a great texture.
Salads are a favorite meal of mine, especially when they are hearty. This salad is super filling with beets, cheese, and nuts. It’s a great side, but we almost always have it as a main because it’s so filling. If you don’t feel like making the dressing, any vinaigrette will work well, but the extra bit of effort to make the included dressing is worth it. Plus, the dressing only has 4 ingredients!
Techniques for a delicious Beet Salad with Arugula and Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Caramelize the beets. Roasting the beets until they are lightly browned gives them a deep savory flavor.
- Try different beets. Red beets, gold beets, and Chioggia beets all roast in about 20 to 30 minutes, so you can mix them together. I like the different flavors of all of them together.
- Bring in the citrus. Citrus works great in this dish. I used a mix of Cara Cara and Navel oranges because they were available, but grapefruits and blood oranges work wonderfully as well.
- Creamy goat cheese does a beautiful job of balancing out the tanginess of the dressing and the citrus.
More Delicious Salads
- Thai Salad with Peanut Dressing
- Caprese Pasta Salad with Balsamic Drizzle
- Peach Panzanella Salad
- Mediterranean Pasta Salad with Shallot Dressing
- 1 recipe dressing for roasted vegetables
- 6 beets, remove ends. Peel beets and cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 oranges, remove peel and slice into segments.
- 5 ounces baby arugula
- 4 ounces goat cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly cracked pepper
- Roast Beets: On a parchment-lined baking sheet, toss the beets with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Lightly season with salt and pepper. Roast beets at 450°F until the beets are tender, about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Dressing: While the beets are roasting, prepare the Dressing for Roasted Vegetables according to the recipe.
- To serve: Place a handful of baby arugula on a plate. Arrange the beets across the plate. Top the salad with the orange segments, goat cheese, and the chopped pecans. Drizzle with dressing.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 253Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 13mgSodium: 380mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 4gSugar: 12gProtein: 9g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.