Sweet and Spicy Sweet Potatoes are the perfect addition to a harvest bowl and are amazing as a standalone side. Easy to adjust the spice to your liking.
These sweet potatoes are delicious, filling, and packed with flavor. They are amazing as a side dish, but I also love eating them on their own for lunch. When I eat them for lunch I love them with this spicy roasted red pepper sauce.
Techniques for amazing Sweet and Spicy Sweet Potatoes
- To peel or not to peel? I usually don’t peel potatoes. At least not all the way. If the potatoes have any thick rough skin, I will peel that off, but other than that I like the taste and texture of the skin. If you don’t like the skin, feel free to peel it off. I have tested this recipe both ways and it doesn’t make a noticeable difference.
- Roast the potatoes until they start to brown and caramelize. This brings out the natural flavor of the sweet potato and works really well with the sauce.
- Don’t worry if you don’t have the exact sauce ingredients on hand. You can sub sugar for honey, or white wine vinegar for rice vinegar for example. It will change the flavor, but the balance of sweet, spicy, and tangy is what makes these amazing.
- 1 large sweet potato, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Adjust rack to the second to the top position, then preheat the oven to 450°F
- Roast sweet potatoes: On a parchment-lined baking sheet, toss together cubed sweet potatoes with 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil. Salt and pepper to preference. Roast at 450°F until tender and browned, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Sauce: In a medium saucepan, stir together honey, rice vinegar, toasted sesame oil, red pepper flakes, water, and minced garlic.
- Sauce the potatoes: Once the potatoes are roasted, add them to the saucepan with the sauce and stir well to combine. Heat over medium-low heat until sauce is thickened and potatoes are evenly coated, about 5 to 10 minutes. Salt & pepper to taste.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 128Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 163mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 2gSugar: 12gProtein: 1g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.