This Easy Southern Peach Cobbler is a quick dessert that is super simple and easy to throw together after a long day of entertaining. Make sure you have some vanilla ice cream to scoop on top.
Should I use fresh or canned peaches for peach cobbler?
Both fresh and canned peaches work great in peach cobbler. Since you are baking the dish, the peaches will be heated anyway, so fresh peaches don’t make a big impact. Plus, this recipe adds lemon juice that helps to perk up the peaches, whether they are canned or fresh!
Ingredients for Peach Cobbler
- Fresh peaches or canned peaches: If they are in season, I usually use fresh peaches in peach cobbler. But, I actually make this dish a lot in the fall and winter, and I always use canned peaches then. It’s always a hit either way!
- Lemon juice: Lemon juice adds some brightness to the peach cobbler filling and makes it extra tasty. I recommend using fresh lemon juice here, as bottled lemon juice can be overly acidic.
- Egg: Egg is used to help bind the crust.
- Milk: Milk adds hydration and flavor to crusts when baking.
- Flour: Flour makes up the bulk of the crust.
- White sugar and Brown Sugar: I like to use both white and brown sugar in this dish. The brown sugar gives a rich flavor, while the whtie sugar makes sure the edges of the crust are crispy.
- Salted butter: Salted butter is key in this recipe. The butter crisps up the crust and gives it delicious flavor. The salt in the butter helps to balance out the sweetness of the filling.
- Cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice: 3 of my favorite baking spices, they work perfectly with peaches!
- Baking powder: To get the crust nice and fluffy!
- Salt: To balance the sweetness.
How to make peach cobbler?
Easy Southern Peach Cobbler comes together in just a few quick steps:
- Preheat the oven.
- Melt the butter and pour into a 9×13 pan.
- Mix together the filling of white sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, lemon juice, and sliced peaches.
- For the batter, you are going to mix your wet and dry ingredients separately, then gently stir them together to combine.
- In the pan with the melted butter in it, pour the batter on top of the butter, distributing the batter evenly in the pan. The butter will pool around the sides. Spoon the peaches evenly onto the top of the batter.
- Bake and serve with vanilla ice cream!
Looking for another delicious dessert? Try our amazingly chewy brown butter oatmeal chocolate chip cookies.
- 5 big fresh peaches (sliced) or 2 15 ounce cans of sliced canned peaches (drained)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 large egg
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup salted butter (1 stick)
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 tsp coarse salt
- vanilla ice cream for serving
- Adjust the rack to the middle position, then preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Butter: Melt the butter in the microwave in 15-second increments. Pour the melted butter into a 9×13 baking pan and spread around until the sides and the bottom of the pan are coated with butter.
- Filling: In a large bowl, combine 1/2 cup white sugar, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, 1/4 tsp allspice, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, and the sliced peaches. Stir together thoroughly.
- Flour Mixture: In a large bowl, stir together 1 cup flour, 1/2 cup white sugar, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 2 teaspoons baking powder, and 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt.
- Milk Mixture: Whisk together 2/3 cup milk and 1 large egg.
- Batter: Gently stir together the flour mixture and the milk mixture – do not over mix.
- Get Ready for the Oven: In the 9×13 pan with the butter in it, pour the batter on top of the butter distributing the batter evenly in the pan. The butter will pool around the sides. Spoon the peaches onto the top of the batter – distributing evenly – and then pour any juice over the top.
- Bake: Bake at 350°F for 30 to 40 minutes until the crust is golden. Let cool for about 10 to 20 minutes, sugar syrup will be extremely hot. Serve with vanilla ice cream.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 440Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 63mgSodium: 326mgCarbohydrates: 75gFiber: 2gSugar: 60gProtein: 5g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.