Quick pickled red onions are so easy to make! They are ready super fast, and are so versatile!
I love making pickled onions. These are a quick pickled version, which means they are super easy. They are also incredibly versatile. This is a basic recipe, but you can change it up with different kinds of vinegar, seasonings, and herbs. These last at least a week in the fridge and are so tasty with roasted veggies, on tacos, and in salads.
Ingredients for Quick Pickled Red Onions
- Red Onion: You can pickle any onions, but red onions have a distinctive flavor and turn a beautiful pink hue when pickled, making them my favorite onion to pickle!
- White Vinegar: Quick pickling can be done with almost any vinegar. White vinegar is standard, but I’ve also used red wine vinegar, white wine vinegar, and rice vinegar, all with great results.
- Water: Water is used to dilute the vinegar to keep it from becoming over-powering.
- Salt: Salt brings out the flavor in the pickled red onions.
- Herbs: Adding herbs to pickled onions elevates the flavor and helps them meld well with whatever you are eating them with. Dill is common to add, but feel free to get creative!
How to make Quick Pickled Red Onions
- Thinly slice the red onion and place in a lidded container, like a mason jar.
- Heat the vinegar, water, and salt in pan (or in the microwave) until the salt is dissolved and the mixture boils.
- Pour the vinegar solution over the sliced red onions.
- If you are adding herbs or extra seasoning, add it next.
- Leave the onions to sit for about 10-20 minutes to pickle.
Techniques for the best Pickled Red Onions
- Adding the warm vinegar mixture to the onions off the heat, rather than boiling the onions, prevents the onions from over pickling and losing color.
- These are very versatile, so add different herbs (dill and basil taste great), add sugar (amazing with roasted veggies), or try different spices (like mustard seed or crushed red pepper), this is a fun experiment.
- You can pickle any onion. White, yellow, and sweet onions all taste delicious.
Recipes that use Pickled Red Onions:
- Sweet Potato Bowl
- Vegetarian Chile Relleno
- Sweet Potato Tacos with Poblano Cream Sauce
- Cheesy Polenta Recipe with Roasted Beets
- 1 red onion
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- Thinly slice red onion and place in a lidded container, like a mason jar.
- Heat the vinegar, water, and salt in a pan until the salt is dissolved and the mixture boils.
- Pour the vinegar mixture over the sliced red onions.
- If you are adding herbs or extra seasoning, add it now.
- Leave to sit for about 10-20 minutes to pickle.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 16Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 531mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 0g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.