Esquites, also known as Elote en Vaso (corn in a cup) are the delicious cousin to elotes. This version is made with spicy Hatch chiles and delicious cotija cheese.
Esquites are a perfect side for a crowd. They are super quick and easy to make, and everyone loves them. When I’m serving a large group I prefer them to elotes on the cob since it is easier for guests to get the exact amount they want. But be prepared, everyone gets seconds (or thirds)!
Techniques for delicious Esquites | Elote en Vaso
- Let your taste buds be your guide. Hatch chiles are usually pretty spicy. My family likes heat, so we love these as the recipe is written. If you aren’t a spice lover, swap out some (or all) of the Hatch chiles for Anaheim peppers which are much milder.
- Let the corn and peppers cool before mixing with the sauce, this keeps the sauce nice and creamy.
Looking for an “On the Cobb” version? Try our Easy Elotes.
- 5 ears of corn, remove husks and ends
- 3 Hatch chiles
- 1 lime, cut into 6 wedges
- 1/4 cup shredded cotija cheese
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon annatto
- Hot sauce
- Adjust rack to the second to the top position, then preheat the oven broiler
- Char: Place corn and chiles on a baking sheet and broil under lightly charred, turning every few minutes. The chiles will most likely be done before the corn. About 5 minutes for the chiles, and 10 minutes for the corn. Once charred, remove the chiles from the oven and carefully place in a sealed container, like a lidded bowl, to steam and cool. Let the corn sit on the counter to cool.
- Cut the vegetables: Once the peppers have cooled enough to handle, remove the skin, seeds, and stem. Then dice the flesh of the pepper. After that, cut the corn off the cob.
- Sauce: Stir together, the mayonnaise, sour cream, half of the cheese, and the juice from one lime wedge, and the salt.
- Mix it up: Stir the sauce, corn, and diced peppers together.
- To serve: Sprinkle with annatto, paprika, and the remaining cheese. Serve with lime wedges and hot sauce.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 130Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 8mgSodium: 300mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 2gSugar: 5gProtein: 4g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.