Jalapeno pimento cheese is a kicked-up version of a southern classic. Like it even spicier? Add more peppers until it’s perfect for you.
Is there anything more southern than pimento cheese? Cheddar cheese, mayonnaise, and pimentos. Growing up we often had a tub of it in the fridge, I like it, but never enough to buy my own tub. Then the other weekend I went to visit my parents and I dipped into the tub, and even though I liked it, my main thought was “this should be better”. I mean it’s cheese and mayonnaise. It’s basically pure fat, but all the premade versions I’ve had are a bit “meh”.
Techniques for perfect Jalapeno Pimento Cheese:
- Don’t blend it. Most pimento cheese is blended into a sort of paste. So it has the texture of a paste. So if you make it into a sandwich, your sandwich is paste-like. Grating the cheese on the largest setting gives this dip the texture of cheese. While I prefer freshly shredded, pre-shredded cheese works great here too.
- Seasoning. The premade pimento cheeses that I’ve had are decidedly lacking in seasoning. We’re going to amp it up and give it a kick.
- Kewpie Mayo. Kewpie mayo is a Japanese mayonnaise made only with egg yolks (rather than whole eggs), so it’s rich and delicious. It also has a nice tanginess, so it works well in this indulgent dish.
I used red jalapenos because I had them in the garden and I thought they would look nice in the photos, but green will work just as well.
Looking for more appetizers? Check out our other recipes.
- 2 jalapenos, sliced in half, seeds removed
- 2 ounces chopped pimentos, drained
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar (sharp or medium)
- 1/2 cup kewpie mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon annatto
- 1/2 teaspoon ancho
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chives for garnish (optional)
Adjust the rack to the middle position, then preheat the oven broiler.
Roast the jalapenos: Place the jalapenos cut side up on a cookie sheet. Place them under the broiler until the are lightly charred, about 5 minutes. Remove the jalapenos from the oven and let cool.
Dice the jalapenos: Once jalapenos are cool, dice finely.
Make the pimento cheese: Stir all ingredients together thoroughly with a large spoon.
To serve: Serve with crackers as a dip, or spread on bread for a sandwich.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 211Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 34mgSodium: 311mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 7g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.