Easy Elotes come together very quickly for a perfect potluck dish. These are a crowd-pleaser! Make sure to make more than you expect, these go quick!
Also known as Mexican Street Corn, Elotes are a simple and deceivingly delicious dish that everyone loves. The feedback I received on this dish included “this is the best corn I’ve ever had” and from my mother “you know, I didn’t think this was going to be good, but it’s amazing!”
Ingredients for Elote Recipe
- Fresh Corn on the Cob: Fresh corn on the cob is a must for elotes! If your corn is off the cob, try our Esquites!
- Lime: Bright and tangy lime perks up this delicious Mexican Street Corn recipe!
- Cotija Cheese: Cotija cheese is sharp and salty. If you haven’t had it before, it’s similar to parmigiano reggiano. Cotija is a must have for any Elote recipe!
- Mayonnaise & Sour Cream: Most Mexican Street Corn recipes call only for mayonnaise, but I really like the extra flavor that comes from using a blend of both mayonnaise and sour cream.
- Spicy Seasoning: I like to serve this Elote recipe with a spice blend of salt, smoked paprika, ancho chile powder, and cayenne pepper powder on the side. Since I’m often feeding a group of people with different spice tolerances, they can put as much or as little spice on as they like.
- Hot sauce: I usually keep a lot of hot sauces in my house, so if I’m serving for a group I just set them all out. If it’s just you, pick your favorite hot sauce, or even none at all.
How to make Elote Recipe
- Char the corn under the oven broiler. If you prefer, you can also char the corn on the grill or smoker.
- Mix together the sour cream, and the mayonnaise. Rub the mayonnaise mixture onto the charred corn. Dust the corn with grated cotija cheese.
- Stir together the salt, paprika, ancho chile powder, and cayenne pepper powder to make your seasoning blend.
- Serve cotija dusted corn cobs with the seasoning mix, lime, and hot sauce on the side.
Tips for delicious Easy Elotes
- Try to find cotija cheese, but if you can’t Parmigiano Reggiano works in a pinch. Cotija is a hard, dry, salty cheese, with a flavor profile similar to the easier to find Parmigiano Reggiano. If you can’t find cotija, this sub will still taste great.
- Serve the seasoning on the side to let your family and friends choose their own heat level. I am often surprised by how heat impacts people differently. Even with my husband, there are times when I think something is really hot and he doesn’t, and vice versa. If you are serving this to a crowd, leave the seasoning on the side.
Looking for more delicious sides?
- Peach Panzanella Salad
- Jalapeno Pimento Cheese
- Sweet and Spicy Sweet Potatoes
- Easy Cheese and Chive Drop Biscuits
- Barbecue Beans in Tomato Sauce
- Thai Style Potatoes
- Easy Corn Casserole
- 4 ears corn, remove ends and shuck the corn.
- 1 lime, cut lengthwise into 6 wedges.
- 1/2 cup shredded cotija cheese
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ancho chile powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper powder
- Hot sauce
- Adjust rack to second to the top position, then preheat the oven broiler.
- Corn: Place corn on a baking sheet under the broiler until slightly charred, rotating frequently. (About 8 to 10 minutes total). Let corn cool. Your sauce will melt off if you put it on hot.
- Sauce & Cheese: In a small bowl, mix together 1 tablespoon sour cream, and 2 tablespoons mayonnaise. Rub the mayonnaise mixture onto the corn. Dust the corn with shredded cotija cheese.
- Seasoning: In a small bowl, stir together, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon smoked paprika, 1 teaspoon ancho chile powder, 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper powder.
- To serve: Serve cheese coated corn cobs with the seasoning mix, lime, and hot sauce on the side. You can season before serving if you prefer, but adding lime or hot sauce too long before eating will cause the coating to become loose and slide off.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 240Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 20mgSodium: 1076mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 4gSugar: 6gProtein: 8g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.