Easy basil oil is made with just 5 simple ingredients and no fancy equipment! What will you drizzle it on?
I love tasty sauces that amp up the flavor in whatever you add them to. And even better when they are super easy to make. This delicious basil infused olive oil checks both boxes. This basil oil is amazing when drizzled on pasta, tomatoes, hummus, bread; you name it! I also love using this as a basil dipping oil, just grab some crusty bread and dip away! My favorite part about this infused recipe is that it takes no blenders or food processors, just chop your ingredients well and you’re good to go!
Techniques for a perfect Basil Olive Oil
- Chop your basil and garlic finely. The little pieces of raw garlic add a nice spice and aroma that really let the basil shine. Finely chopping also means that this basil infused oil also works well for drizzling and as a basil dipping oil.
- Use coarse salt. Coarse salt lets you better control the saltiness and adds some extra texture to the oil.
- Let it sit a bit. I always prepare this first, ahead of whatever I’m eating it with. This gives it plenty of time to meld together and get extra tasty.
Ingredients for Basil Olive Oil
- Fresh Basil: Fresh basil is key for making delicious basil infused olive oil. Look for basil that is bright green and crisp.
- Garlic: Garlic adds a little heat and a lot of flavor. I like using just one clove to really let the basil shine through, but garlic lovers should feel free to add more garlic. Just keep in mind that the garlic won’t be cooked, and raw garlic can be quite spicy.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil: The fruity robust flavors of extra virgin olive oil make a big difference in this recipe.
- Coarse Salt & Freshly Ground Pepper: These classic seasonings round out the flavor profile
How to make Basil Olive Oil?
- First, chop the garlic and basil into small pieces.
- Second, stir together the garlic, basil, and olive oil in a small bowl, and let rest for about 5 minutes. This lets the basil and garlic flavors meld into the oil.
- Third, season to taste. After letting the basil flavors infuse, salt and pepper to taste.
Recipes with Basil
- Blue Basil Mezcal Margarita
- Cavatappi Pasta with Basil Marinara
- Pasta with Oven Roasted Tomatoes and Garlic
- The BEST Pasta Primavera
I love eating this oil with my White Bean Tuscan Hummus. The basil infused olive oil and hummus taste amazing with the creamy hummus. Another favorite for me is drizzling this oil on pasta or even just crusty bread. Yum!
What is your favorite way to eat basil? Let me know in the comments!
- 1 bunch basil leaves (about 1/2 cup packed)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- Chop: Finely chop the garlic and basil.
- Combine: Stir together the garlic, basil, and olive oil in a small bowl.
- Let it rest: Let the flavors meld for about 5 minutes.
- Salt and pepper: After letting the basil oil flavors infuse, salt and pepper to taste.